Thursday, January 12, 2017

Dinosaurs in my Bed

 

I grew up in a house full of sisters. I was stuck right in middle of it all. We were all four years apart, thankfully for the sake of our reputation, we got to do high school solo of each other. It would total social suicide to have a little sister following you around. 🤣 But this didn't mean we didn't have our fair share of fights over who was wearing who's clothes and boys. We had our fair share of screaming matches and fist fights, but hey it's family. But we grew up in a girl's world and that is all I knew with the exception of working like a boy  on the family ranch. 

My life revolved around all things girl until June of 2014 when we welcomed Taos Ray to the family. If I'm being honest with y'all I was a nervous wreck. I had no idea what in the world to do with a little boy. But when I laid eyes on that sweet baby boy I was a goner. I was smitten by his bear like paws and constant need for me. He was a huge mama's joy from the get go. Little did I know this would carry on into toddlerhood. There is just a certain sweet bond between a boy and his mama. 

 

Little boys are a whole new ball game. Give them a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, shoes, and hat and they're good to go. The adventure and imagination that inhabit my little man's body never cease to amaze me with each day. I love that he can play for hours and love listening in on his monologue amongst his trains, cow trucks, dinosaurs, and even when he plays "daddy"'with his big sister. He is tough as nails but has such a tender side when it comes to loving his girls, Mama, big sissy, and baby sissy. 

At the end of the day when they're finally in bed and my house looks like the Red Cross should be arriving any moment, my mama heart is so full. Reflecting on the day of even how much frustration it may have been full of, I think of the day when he doesn't need me to kiss ouchies, wash his hair (as he howls like a cat being baptized), or to fill that milk cup for 10th time. I'm raising someone's future husband and daddy. I know in my heart I'll never feel any girl is good enough to care for my boy as he deserves, but I must remind myself that it's my job as his mother to raise him to be the godly man for my future daughter in law and grandchild. Though this thought makes me cringe it excites me!

 

So as I lay my head down in my bed and feel something stabbing me in the leg and reach under the cover to find a sweetly place dinosaur I'm reminded to pray for Taos. I pray that the Lord would make me the mother he needs and deserves to raise him to be a strong and tender man. I know as he grows up we will face different challenges along the way and my prayers will morph to fit different situations. 

Love this prayer from Proverbs 31 Ministries

1. Create in my son a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within him (Psalm 51:10).

2. May my son walk after You, God, and fear You and keep Your commandments and obey Your voice. May he serve You and hold fast to You (Deuteronomy 13:4).

3. May my son be strong and courageous and not fear or be in dread, for it is You, Lord, our God, who goes with him. You will never leave him or forsake him (Deuteronomy 31:6).

4. May my son walk before You, God, as King David walked, with integrity of heart and uprightness, doing according to all that You have commanded him, and keeping Your statutes and rules (1 Kings 9:4).

5. Like Timothy, may my son be an example to believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity (1 Timothy 4:12).

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us the tools of Your Word and prayer to fight the battle for our sons’ hearts. Help me see who our real enemy is when we are in a conflict. May You be glorified in all I do. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment