Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Cattle Women Who Paved the Way





 
Hey everybody! I hope y'all are having a great week this far. I cannot get over the wind here in North Texas. I'm thinking we are getting a glimpse of what life is like in Lubbock. On the up side we are finally having some cooler weather! I'm absolutely loving wearing all my faux fur vest and jackets. Oh and by the way I had such an amazing Monday enjoying chicken and dumplings and homemade soup. Awe that is like heaven!!
 
I have been wearing the heck out of this great cactus shirt. I love the oversized fit it has. I don't wear a lot of collared button down shirts, but this one I wear at least twice a week. I'm guilty, and I'm not sorry! I have a very unhealthy obsession with  cactus. It is a little bit of a fad at the moment.
 
Cactus is something that runs deep in our western heritage. I have been vegging out 1930s John Wayne films this evening. There is just something absolutely intriguing about these old movies. The Star Packer is the last one I watched. I have to admit one of my favorite parts of watching these movies is their wardrobes. I love the classiness of the women with their collared shirts and broomstick skirts. The men are completely timeless with their cuffed pants and big hats. I seriously wish fashion would go back to then, heck I wish the world would! There is just something so romantic about this time, maybe it's the beauty of when people were genuinely kind and women dressed and acted as respectable ladies. 
 
These women paved the path for us gals of today's western heritage. They were mommas, cooks, cattle women, farmers, and just completely bad to the bone.
Photo from Cowgirl Hall of Fame
 
 One of many would be Lizzie Johnson, also know as The Cattle Queen of Texas. Legend has it that she is the first woman to drive her own cattle alongside her husband's herd along the Chisholm Trail. She broke so many barriers by taking charge and making a name of her own in what was once thought of a man's world of ranching.  
Photo from Cowgirl Hall of Fame
 
Then we have Fox Hastings to thank as well. At the ripe age of 16 she ran away from her home in California and joined the Irwin Brother's Wild West Show. She was a multi talented arena cowgirl as she trick rode, bulldogged, and rode saddle bronc.
 
 
Photo from Cowgirl Hall of Fame

And then we have one of my favorites Prairie Rose Henderson. Not only did she kill it in the rodeo arena with her bronc busting skills she dazzled the crowds with her fashion. The Buckaroo Girl totally reminds me of modern day Prairie Rose.
 
 
This is just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to past cattle women who have paved the way for us gals. I think there is nothing more interesting than learning a little bit about these amazing women.
 
Who is your favorite past cattle woman?
 
 
JORDAN



No comments:

Post a Comment