Saturday, November 1, 2014

Hello November!!

Good chilly morning folks!! Hope yall had a spooktastic Halloween yesterday!  I've been waiting weeks for a morning cool enough to strike up a good fire in the formal living room. This morning when I woke up for my "Mama Time" I tried my little heart out to build a fire, but there are just some task that are better left to my good ole husband! 


When the cooler weather arrives in our household there are so many different things happening in our homestead. Fall at the Switch House always brings new life! Our majority of calves are born in the fall, and we have just a couple pasture that are designated as spring calvers. Cameron has been calving out first time heifers since the beginning of August. Thankfully almost all the calves have been born. There is just nothing cuter than watching those sweet little babies run and buck when there's a bit of a nip to the air. Oh, I almost forgot to tell you that we've got a cute little orphan calf. So that means we've had double baby duty at our house. Cameron wakes up to feed her every few hours and I got the big man Taos. Pecos has taken a huge love and interest in our little orphan Annie. 

Also today is opening day of deer season, and we lease out quite a bit of our land. We have hunters coming and going, most of which are family friends. This is another reason fall is my favorite time of year, because it's always nice to catch up with friends we haven't seen in a while. This morning I took the trash out, and to my surprise there were some hunters talking to my dad. 

With the coolness it always gives me the hankering to fire up the oven! This morning I made some really simple homemade biscuits. 




2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup milk

Combine all dry ingredient and blend well with whisk. Cut in butter until resembles coarse bread crumbs. Stir in milk until all comes together to form a dough ball. Turn out dough ball onto a heavily floured surface (I use wax paper). Let set for a couple of minutes and then knead for about a minute and then re-flour surface and pat out to about 1/2″ thick. Cut biscuits with floured biscuit cutter and place into ungreased baking pan. Form remaining dough into ball and repeat until all dough made into biscuits. This recipe will make approximately 12 biscuits. Bake in 425-450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. This recipe freeze well too. Just place your cut biscuits onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper and place cookie sheet into freeze making sure to keep level. Once frozen remove and place into a freezer bag and place into freezer. When ready to use just follow baking directions and bake only the amount that you need, you do not have to bake all of them at one time.


When my sweets finally wake up I have some fun movies to watch with them and snuggle! We are finally going to watch Frozen. Yes I see your jaw dropped and hear your gasps, no we have never seen Frozen! I'm very excited to watch it with Pecos and Taos and catch the fever I've been hearing about!
 
Hope yall have a warm cuddly weekend!! 







1 comment:

  1. Wow it sounds like there's so much happening in your life during the fall. What an exciting time of year. Thanks so much for sharing your life on the Homestead just seems so different than my typical suburban life - it's such a cool perspective.

    ReplyDelete