Monday, March 17, 2014

Saving the Bees

      A couple years back my sweet mother in law, whom I love dearly, was telling me about a documentary by Food Inc about the possible extinction of bees. She went on to tell me of how that 40% of the bees in the United States have suffered from Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD). This is due to the many pesticides, such as clothianidin,imidacloprid, and thiamethoxam, the  US is using on almost 2/3 of its crops...that's almost 143 MILLION ACRES!! Clothianidin has been labeled as completely unacceptable for use and completely banned by the European Food Safety Authority.
 Bees either become so disoriented they can’t find their way back to their hives and die away from home, or fly back poison-drunk and die at the foot of their queen.

      While we don't need bees to pollinate all crops, here's a brief list of foods we would lose if our bees continue to perish. 

  • Apples
  • Mangos
  • Rambutan
  • Kiwi Fruit
  • Plums
  • Peaches
  • Nectarines
  • Guava
  • Rose Hips
  • Pomegranates
  • Pears
  • Black and Red Currants
  • Alfalfa
  • Okra
  • Strawberries
  • Onions
  • Cashews
  • Cactus
  • Prickly Pear
  • Apricots
  • Allspice
  • Avocados
  • Passion Fruit
  • Lima Beans
  • Kidney Beans
  • Adzuki Beans
  • Green Beans
  • Orchid Plants
  • Custard Apples
  • Cherries
  • Celery
  • Coffee
  • Walnut
  • Cotton
  • Lychee
  • Flax
  • Acerola – used in Vitamin C supplements
  • Macadamia Nuts
  • Sunflower Oil
  • Goa beans
  • Lemons
  • Buckwheat
  • Figs
  • Fennel
  • Limes
  • Quince
  • Carrots
  • Persimmons
  • Palm Oil
  • Loquat
  • Durian
  • Cucumber
  • Hazelnut
  • Cantaloupe
  • Tangelos
  • Coriander
  • Caraway
  • Chestnut
  • Watermelon
  • Star Apples
  • Coconut
  • Tangerines
  • Boysenberries
  • Starfruit
  • Brazil Nuts
  •  Beets
  • Mustard Seed
  • Rapeseed
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Cabbage
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Bok Choy (Chinese Cabbage)
  • Turnips
  • Congo Beans
  • Sword beans
  • Chili peppers, red peppers, bell peppers, green peppers
  • Papaya
  • Safflower
  • Sesame
  • Eggplant
  • Raspberries
  • Elderberries
  • Blackberries
  • Clover
  • Tamarind
  • Cocoa
  • Black Eyed Peas
  • Vanilla
  • Cranberries
  • Tomatoes
  • Grapes

Kinda scary to imagine a world without coffee,huh?! My family has so many favorites on that list!! 


So I'm sure you're wondering where I'm going by spouting all these facts and what not. Well being a mom with a 16 month old and one on the way I worry about the world they're going to have to grow up in and what I can do to do anything and everything to help. Also Earth Day is coming up on April 22nd I was wanting to plan something Pecos and I could do to celebrate the gorgeous Earth Jesus has blessed us with and do something that would be beneficial for it. We have decided to plant a bee garden. We have a lot of cleared out flower beds at the new house. Yes, it'll be away from where my kiddos will play to avoid bee stings. I have thought this through and done research. I'm a fan  of Food Inc on Facebook and about a week ago they posted a picture of what to plant in your bee garden. 


My goal this week is locate seedlings and plants that are listed and fill our sweet little honey bee garden!! I will keep you updated periodically through my blog on how our Honey Bee Garden is doing!! I really hope this information has moved you to at least devote a small portion of your garden to Save the Bees!! Think of your children,grandchildren, or just our future generation and do something beneficial for them!! I'm kinda a little hippie Momma!!

Until next time!! Thanks for reading!!


          Xoxo,

                Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment